This fermented lemonade with strawberry is an amazing summer drink, that is not only delicious but really good for you. It is a great way to get fermented foods into kids and other people who may be skeptical of it as they will never know they are drinking it. It is also a great way to get started with fermented foods as it is not sour, bitter or spicy like sauerkraut or kimchi can be.
Fermented Lemonade with Strawberry
- 12 Lemons
- 1 pound of Strawberries
- 2½ quarts of Filtered or Spring Water (do not use tap water as the chlorine or other substances could interfere with the fermentation process)
- ¾ cup of Organic Sugar or Rapadura (like this)
- 1 cup of whey (to learn how to make whey, click here)
- 1 gallon glass container
- Juice the 12 lemons
- Clean the strawberries, removing the stems and cutting into 4 pieces
- Add the lemon juice, strawberries and sugar to the a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Strain out any large chunks of strawberries.
- Place in a one gallon glass container.
- Add the whey and the water.
- Cover the jar with a dishtowel.
- It will take 2-5 days to ferment. (The longer it ferments, the more sugar with be eaten up by the bacteria. I usually ferment it 4-5 days, but it depends on how warm your kitchen is)
- You will know it is done when it is bubbly, fizzy, tangy and less sweet.
- When it is done, place in smaller containers and move to the refrigerator.