This is a simple, wonderful soup that I make often on cold winter days (not that it really gets that cold in Northern California). But seriously, we have just come out of a long drought, and it has finally started to rain and get cold and this cream of asparagus soup has been perfect. With the cold and the rain, I have been on a soup quest and recently also made butternut squash soup and homemade chicken vegetable soup.
Asparagus is one of the healthiest vegetables. Below is a list of its numerous health benefits:
- Asparagus is loaded with nutrients; folate, vitamins A, C, E and K, and chromium.
- Asparagus helps to stabilize blood sugar and get rid of sugar cravings due to its high chromium content.
- Asparagus contains high levels of the compound glutathione. Glutathione helps to boost the immune system and helps to prevent cancer. According to Anne Louise Gittleman, author of Zapped, it also protects against the damage of EMF frequencies (cell phone, wifi, smart meters, etc.)
- Asparagus can help to slow the aging process due to its high level of antioxidants.
- Asparagus can help to protect your brain from cognitive decline due to its high level of folate and B12.
- Asparagus is a good source of prebiotics, which help the healthy bacteria in your gut to thrive.
- Asparagus is very anti-inflammatory and can help with chronic pain.
- Asparagus contains a high amount of vitamin A which is good for your eyes.
- If the above benefits didn’t convince you, asparagus is also considered to be an aphrodisiac.
Cream of Asparagus Soup Recipe
Cream of Asparagus Soup Ingredients
- 1 lb asparagus
- 3 stalks celery
- 6 green onions
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan or sea salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 3T butter or Coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot (use could also use gluten free flour or organic cornstarch if you don't have arrowroot in the house)
- Chop all of the vegetables.
- Melt the butter into a pan on the stove and add the vegetables.
- Saute until tender.
- Add the coconut milk, chicken broth, water, salt, and pepper until heated.
- Mix the arrowroot into a couple of tablespoons of water.
- Turn the heat down low and slowly add the arrowroot/water mixture while stirring continuously until it begins to thicken.
- Put everything in a blender or Vitamix and serve.
- Enjoy in good health!