I created this recipe when I was in Hawaii on vacation recently and ate a version of this almost every day at lunch. This recipe contains shrimp, papaya, lettuce, vegetables and macademia nuts. You can also make it with chicken. We stayed at a guest house and there were 7 kinds of organic papaya trees on the property. Every morning when we woke up we would just to outside and pick whatever we wanted, make our salads, through them in a cooler and head to the beach.
We spent our days snorkeling, bogey boarding and lying on the beach. This salad was so good and refreshing. Just making it now reminds me of the tropics. Here is the recipe.
Tropical Shrimp Salad Recipe
- 1 pound of boiled, cooled wild shrimp
- 4 cups of organic green lettuce
- 1 organic papaya
- 2 green onions
- 1 carrot
- ¼ cucumber
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- Several sprigs of cilantro
- ¼ cup macademia nuts, halved
- Wash and chop the lettuce and all of the other vegetables and put them in a bowl.
- Slice the papaya, cut into bite size pieces, and get rid of the seeds. I recommend only purchasing organic papaya or papaya that does not come from Hawaii. Most of the papaya grown in Hawaii is genetically modified but if you can find organic Hawaiian papaya or papaya grown elsewhere, it will be fine. If you cannot find this, you can use mango instead.
- Wash the cilantro and remove the leaves and place them in the bowl.
- Add the shrimp.
- Toast the macademia nuts and add them to the salad.
- Pour the dressing over the salad.
- The final tropical shrimp salad.
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- Juice of one lime
- Salt to taste
- Juice of one tangerine
- 2 Tablespoons Cilantro leaves
- Put all of the ingredients together in a blender and blend well.