This roasted eggplant dip makes a perfect appetizer or afternoon snack. It is also a good dish to bring to a picnic. It can be served with cut up raw or steamed vegetables and gluten-free crackers.
Roasted Eggplant Dip
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 large red onion
- ⅓ cup avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoons of Himalayan or sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1½ to 3 teaspoons chili powder or ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon cayenne depending on how spicy you want it to be
- Cut up vegetables of your choice for dipping
- Gluten-free crackers for dipping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice the eggplant sideways, taking off the top quarter.
- Scoop out the insides.
- Save the eggplant to use it as a serving dish.
- Cut the red pepper in half, remove the sees and cut into small pieces.
- Peel the onion and cut into small pieces.
- Place the eggplant, garlic, onion and pepper in a large bowl.
- Pour in the olive oil.
- Add the salt, pepper and spices.
- Mix well.
- Place everything on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Turn over every 10 minutes.
- Put in the refrigerator until cool.
- Place in a blender and blend on low so it is still coarse.
- Spoon into the eggplant dish and serve at room temperature with vegetables and gluten-free crackers.
- You can use the top as a lid.
Avocado oil is a better choice since this is going to be heated in the oven, and avocado oil is great for cooking. If you don’t have any or have trouble getting it, you can use olive oil. It isn’t as good for cooking, doesn’t hold up in high heat, and can become unhealthy.
If you are going to use olive oil, please read this article. Most commercial olive oils are fake. Many are lower quality than what they say and are cut with cheaper oils like soy. There was a study done and the following olive oils were the only ones that were tested to be real and high quality:
- California Olive Ranch
- Kirkland (Organic only)
- Lucero (Ascolano)
- McEvoy Ranch Organic