I recently traveled to Pennsylvania to visit family and there is nothing hate more than airplane and airport food. I also like to eat healthy paleo snacks when I go hiking. All of these paleo snacks are low in sugar, high in healthy fat, and/or high in protein. They also do not need to be refrigerated.
1) Kind Bars. These bars contain clean ingredients, mostly nuts and other flavorings. There are several flavors of these that only have 4-5 grams of sugar. The low sugar varieties are Dark Chocolate Cinnamon Pecan, Madagascar Vanilla Almond, Dark Chocolate Nuts and Sea Salt, Cashew Ginger Spice, Caramel Almond and Sea Salt, and Dark Chocolate Chili Almond.
2) 85% Dark Chocolate Bars. These chocolate bars have a nice chocolate flavor and are very low in sugar. A half of a 3 ounce bar has just 5 grams of sugar.
3) Beef Jerky. Beef jerky one of the best paleo snacks as it is very high in protein, low in carbs and doesn’t have to be refrigerated. This brand is grass-fed.
4) Nuts. Nuts are ideal for travel as they are portable and do not have to be refrigerated. Many nuts, while being low in carbs, high in healthy fat, and filling, also have a high omega 6 to omega 3 ratio. Macademia nuts are the best choice for paleo snacks as they have the lowest amount of omega 6.
5) Coconut Milk. Coconut milk is loaded with healthy fat. These small cans make ideal paleo snacks for traveling or hiking. You do need a small can opener. I usually eat this mixed with a pack of Stevia.
6) Almond Butter. Almond butter is a great source of healthy fat. These packs come in single serving sizes and have many different flavors; Classic Almond Butter, Maple Almond, Honey Almond, and if you are craving something chocolately and sweet without a lot of sugar, there is Chocolate Almond, and Chocolate Hazelnut (my favorite).
7) Kale Chips. Kale chips are great when you want paleo snacks that are crunchy like potato chips but don’t want all the carbs and bad oils.
8) Olives. Olives are loaded with healthy fat. These small cans make ideal paleo snacks and you don’t need a can opener for these.
9) Roasted Seaweed. These seaweed packs are crunchy and salty and low in calories and carbs. This one is roasted with sesame, olive or coconut oil and doesn’t contain canola oil like many other brands and these make great paleo snacks.
10) Flaxseed Crackers. These crackers are grain-free and low in carbs and come in many different flavors.
11) Pepperoni. Pepperoni is high in protein and makes a great paleo snack for travel. This brand is nitrate-free.
12) Dehydrated Coconut Water. Coconut water is filled with electrolytes and is very hydrating. These small, dehydrated packs are easy to carry and perfect for traveling.
13) Magnesium Packs. Okay, this isn’t a food but these are great to have while traveling. Many people become less regular when they travel and can have trouble sleeping. Magnesium addresses both of these concerns, and these single serving packs are easy to bring along on trips.