I have set a goal to change over all of my personal care products to things that are more natural. I will be coming up with recipes that are more elaborate, but this is what I have been using for now. Store bought personal care products are loaded with toxins. You can buy natural products in health food stores, but they are very expensive and a lot them are not that good for you as they say.
The benefits of using these natural ingredients are as follows:
- They are free of toxins.
- They are better for the environment.
- They are simple to make and use.
- They are very inexpensive.
1. Toothpaste. A simple toothpaste is to mix equal parts of coconut oil with baking soda. You can add a drop of peppermint or cinammon essential oil if you want more flavor.
2. Mouthwash. Use 1 cup of filtered or distilled water with 2 tablespoons of baking soda and 6 drops of peppermint oil.
3. Body Lotion. Use spray coconut oil. Simply spray this on your skin when you get out of the shower and towel off. If you have long hair like me, don’t use this on your shoulders or chest or your hair will get greasy.
4. Facial Cleanser. Use canned coconut cream. Massage into your face and towel off. It is moisturizing and anti-bacterial and good for most skin types. You can also use raw honey. This is good for most skin types also. Some people like to use Oil Cleansing. This didn’t work for me as I where contact lenses and the oil got on them. Also, some people break out from oil cleansing, but it does work for many people.
5. Facial Exfoliant. Use baking soda and water.
6. Facial Toner. Aloe veral gel. You can easily grow this.
7. Eye night cream. A small amount of coconut oil.
8. Eye makeup remover. Use a small amount of olive oil. If you wear contact lenses, remove the lenses first.
9. Body Scrub. Here are 3 simple recipes. You can add a few drops of whatever essential oil you like to these recipes. I like to use lavender or orange essential oils. You can rub these into your skin while you are in the shower and then rinse them off.
a. Used coffee grounds mixed with olive oil.
b. Olive oil with sea salt.
c. Avocado oil with sugar.
10. Shampoo. Use baking soda with a few drops of Castile Soap.
11. Conditioner. 2 cups of water with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Pour this over your hair after shampooing and rinse out in the shower. This works best if you comb your hair out before you get into the shower. Don’t use this if you have dry or color-treated hair.
12. Hair Spray. This works surprisingly well. 1 cup of water, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 5 drops of lavender or eucalyptus oil. This does contain sugar, and I have not tested this in a high insect environment, but I think that with the essential oils added, insects should be repelled.
12. Shaving cream. Use olive oil. Rub onto your legs, shave and rinse off in the shower.
13. Body and hand soap. 1/2 cup Castile Soap, 1/2 cup water, 1 tablespoon olive oil.
14. Detox bath. 1 cup of Epsom Salts, 1/2 cup baking soda. This is great for detoxing. This combination also removes radiation from the body. If you are exposed to a high amount of EMFs or you are traveling on a plane, this is a great way to reduce the radiation.