Coconut Water Kefir is an amazing, sparkling probiotic tonic. The young coconut water is fermented into a drink, and the meat is blended and fermented into a yogurt. To make the coconut water kefir, you can either use fresh young coconuts or coconut water from a carton. If you want to make the yogurt, you need to use fresh young coconuts.
The benefits of coconut water kefir are:
- Healing to the digestive system due to the beneficial bacteria
- Good hangover remedy as it contains a high concentration of electrolytes.
- Good for the skin
- Improves the immune system due to the beneficial bacteria.
Coconut Water Kefir Recipe
- If you are using fresh coconuts, you need to open them. Use a large knife with a protruding back edge and hack into the coconut as shown below, keeping your opposite hand on the other side of the coconut, far away from the knife.
- Continue carefully hacking around the coconut until you have made a complete circle. Be sure to keep your other hand on the other side of the coconut, far away from the knife.
- Stick the back edge of a clean hammer into the cut area and pry it open.
- Do this for all 5 coconuts.
- Pour the liquid into 2 - 32 ounce mason jars.
- Add a ¼ cup of Water Kefir grains to each jar.
- Place the jars on a plate or tray and cover with a dish towel.
- They will take around 3-4 days to ferment.
- You will know it is done when it tastes sour, fizzy and tangy.
- Drink ¼ to ½ cup one to two times a day as a probiotic tonic.
- Begin to scoop out all of the coconut meat and place into a bowl.
- Pick out any bits of the coconut shell and discard.
- Place into a blender with 2 cups of water and 4 acidophilius capsules and blend until smooth.
- Cover with a dish towel.
- If you have a food dehydrator, place the bowl in the food dehydrator on the lowest setting for approximately 24 hours.
- If you do not have a food dehydrator, place the bowl in the oven with the oven light turned on for approximately 2 days.
- You will know the pudding is done when it tastes sour, tangy and yogurt-like.
- Eat ½ cup a day. The yogurt can be mixed with fruit or vanilla extract with Stevia.